MASA President-Elect Candidate
Elk River Area School District
11500 193rd Avenue NW
Elk River, MN 55330
Component Group: Superintendent
MASA Region: 09W
Campaign video: https://youtu.be/1ImNnUoyz6Y
I am honored to have been nominated to serve as MASA President-Elect and appreciate your consideration for the position. I have worked in public education for 27 years, and have served as a Superintendent for the last 11 years. I have served administratively in four school districts of varying sizes, the smallest of which had approximately 4,000 students (Sauk Rapids-Rice), and the largest (the Clark County School District, which is the fifth-largest in the United States), which had more than 310,000 students. I am currently in my third year as Superintendent in ISD 728 (Elk River, Otsego, Rogers, and Zimmerman), which is the eighth largest school district in Minnesota with approximately 14,000 students. Below you will find more information about me, as well as about past successes and service. These opportunities have prepared me to serve in this role and to represent the needs of superintendents and school districts across the State of Minnesota.
- First person in my family to graduate college,
- Former Spanish and English teacher,
- Nevada teacher and coach of the year,
- Minnesota Superintendent of the Year 2016
- Elementary Director in the Clark County School District in Las Vegas, Nevada (5th largest and fastest growing school district in the nation with more than 200 elementary schools),
- Assistant Commissioner at the Minnesota Department of Education (Special Education Compliance, Policy, ABE, Food/Nutrition),
- Administrative Representative on the Minnesota Board of Teaching,
- Director of Educator Quality and Licensing at the Minnesota Department of Education,
- Director of Elementary and Secondary Education in the Centennial School District,
- Superintendent in the Sauk Rapids-Rice School District (2010-2017),
- Superintendent in ISD 728 (2017-Present)
- MASA’s District Leader of the year in 2013 (MASA),
- MASA’s Educational Leader of the Year in 2015 (MASA),
- Chair and/or committee member of various MASA committees such as, but not limited to Federal Advocacy, Nominating, and Legislative (policy and finance)
- Serving my second term on the AASA Governing Board
I am grateful and feel fortunate to serve as a superintendent each and every day. As I think about our roles, I cannot help but reflect upon the amazing superintendents throughout the State, their tireless efforts to do great things for kids and community, and the opportunities that lie ahead of us to educate, inspire, and empower all learners. I believe:
- Every child can learn,
- That anything is possible, and that
- We have an amazing opportunity to lead, influence, and provide world-class opportunities for each and every child.
I care about what I do and who I serve.
Since becoming a Superintendent in 2010, I have been humbled by the people I have met, lessons I have learned, and lives I have been able to impact as evidenced by the increasing achievement, district’s state and national recognition in the last 11 years, my own love for learning, and my desire to make the world a better place.
This job is hard, and together, we will continue to make a difference and to inspire others to live life purposefully, to continuously learn and grow, and to provide opportunities for kids they never thought possible.
As President-Elect, I will work tirelessly with and for you, advocate feverishly for increased access and opportunity for all, and remain “present” and accessible to understand and represent the unique needs within each school district and community.
Thank you for considering me for the MASA President-Elect position.