2014 MASA Minnesota Superintendent of the Year Program!
Thank You to
for sponsoring the Minnesota Superintendent of the Year program.
Completed nominations must be received by
Thursday, July 30, 2013!
The Minnesota Association of School Administrators (MASA) is inviting nominations for the 2014 Minnesota Superintendent of the Year. The recipient of this prestigious award will be a candidate among other state winners for National Superintendent of the Year. The 2014 AASA National Superintendent of the Year is announced at the AASA National Conference on Education in Nashville, TN, February 13th to 15th.
Any superintendent, chancellor or top leader of a school system in the United States who plans to continue in the profession may be nominated. This program is designed to recognize the outstanding leadership of active, front-line superintendents. It is not recognition of service at retirement or a program to reward current state or national leaders.
The Superintendent of the Year Award recipient is selected by a panel of representatives convened by MASA from a variety of Minnesota education organizations. Each candidate is judged on the following criteria:
• Leadership for Learning – creativity in successfully meeting the needs of students in his or her school system.
• Communication – strength in both personal and organizational communication.
• Professionalism – constant improvement of administrative knowledge and skills, while providing professional development opportunities and motivation to others on the education team.
• Community Involvement – active participation in local community activities and an understanding of regional, national, and international issues.
Superintendents may nominate themselves, or they may be nominated by school board members, parents, colleagues and/or community members.
To Nominate go to: http://soy.aasa.org/
AASA will notify the superintendent and MASA and send the application process.
When entering your desired password you must include at least one number and one letter.
Be prepared: during the nomination process you will be asked to complete the following “Please describe why you believe your candidate will be an excellent AASA National Superintendent of the Year”
• Each state association of school administrators selects a State Superintendent of the Year. The Minnesota Superintendent of the Year Award recipient is selected by a panel of representatives from a variety of Minnesota education organizations convened by MASA. MASA will then forward the state candidate to the national competition.
• A national blue-ribbon panel of judges selects four finalists for AASA National Superintendent of the Year from among the 49 eligible State Superintendents of the Year. The judging panel is composed of distinguished leaders in education. The panel’s decision will be based on the written applications and the letters of recommendation.
• The blue-ribbon panel interviews the four national finalists in Washington, D.C., to select the AASA National Superintendent of the Year.
Recognition for Minnesota Superintendent of the Year:
• MASA will announce the award via member email and a press release as soon as the selection is made and the candidates are notified.
• The recipient will be asked to speak at various events, such as the Minnesota Breakfast at the national AASA convention (Nashville, TN, February 13-15, 2014) and the MASA Spring Conference (Brooklyn Park, MN, March 13-14, 2014).
• Thanks to our sponsor ATS&R Planners/Architects/Engineers, the recognition includes a monetary award that can be used to support attendance at conferences, or for any other purpose the recipient chooses.
• An additional part of the state award is the opportunity to celebrate within the school community with a local event, the format of which is determined by the school community.
• The Governor typically hosts the recipient along with other state education honorees at a short reception at the capitol.
• The Minnesota Superintendent of the Year will also be honored at the AASA National Conference on Education in February.
MASA will then forward the state candidate to the national competition:
• The 2014 AASA National Superintendent of the Year is honored at the 2014 AASA National Superintendent of the Year is announced at the AASA National Conference on Education in Nashville, TN, February 13-15, 2014.
• A $10,000 scholarship is awarded to a student in the high school from which the National Superintendent of the Year graduated, or to a student in a high school from which the National Superintendent of the Year is the current superintendent.
MASA is a professional organization whose mission is to establish the statewide agenda for children, serve as the preeminent voice for public education, and empower members through quality services and support. MASA members are school superintendents, directors of special education, other central office school administrators, regional administrators, and higher education administrators and professors from throughout Minnesota. The AASA National Superintendent of the Year Program pays tribute to the talent and vision of the men and women who lead our nation's public schools. This program is sponsored by ARAMARK Education, VALIC and AASA.